Sunday, January 11, 2009

My solitary confinement from the web

Almost four weeks ago my favorite pet, Lucy, decided to knock over our cable Internet box and there by ruin my life for the past month. I don't know how she managed it but in one swipe of her paw, she destroyed our cable modem and my will to live (okay, a little dramatic). We didn't have time to find a replacement in the few days before heading up to New York for Christmas since our house was completely torn apart while we were trying to refinish our floors. After we returned home to the same disaster, we were too busy trying to put our house together to find a replacement. Once we finally had the time to look for a new modem, we realized our idea that it would be a cheap $15 replacement was a little off. The modems we saw in the 5 different stores were all around $65-$70 and our on little budget, that was just out of the question. In our attempt to save money we finally ordered a cheap replacement from eBay. This was only managed by using a computer at Best Buy while receiving many suspicious looks from the employees. We finally received our new modem yesterday and discovered that somehow our wireless modem also bit the dust. So despite the inconvenience of having to sit on the floor of the nursery we're painting to plug into the web, I'm happy to once again be connected to the world. When I was trying to come up with a title for this blog I stumbled upon the definition of solitary confinement and felt it suited my feelings exactly...
Solitary Confinement is a punishment or special form of imprisonment in which a prisoner is denied contact with any other persons, it has also been called a form of torture.

Friday Night I went with some friends to see the movie Marley and Me. I highly recommend it, especially if you have dogs. While watching the movie I found myself reminiscing about all the wonderful experiences I've had with my lab, Lucy. I'd thought I would share some of the magical moments we've had in the last two and a half years of having Lucy in our home.
  • The time Lucy ran over to our next door neighbors house, knocked their 2-year-old to the pavement and peed in their entryway. They moved shortly after that!
  • The time Lucy peed on our friends love sac.
  • The many times Lucy peed on our own love sac, and especially the two times she did it right above Dave's head!
  • The time we had to rush home from my Grandparents house on July 4th to pay a $300 vet visit after Lucy had gotten extremely sick from eating cat food and too much rawhide.
  • The time Lucy and an entire bottle of my antibiotics (yes, including the bottle). If you ever have to make a dog vomit, just use one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and they'll be puking all day!
  • The two pairs of my rainbow flips flops she ate ($50 a pair, that's a $100 chew toy.)
  • The time she got an anal glad infection and we had to again pay a $200 emergency vet visit.
  • The time we she puked on my very expensive coach purse in the moving truck.
  • The time she broke out into little blood blisters all over her body in the moving truck to Pittsburgh and again we went to the vet and had to pay only $100 that time.
  • The many, many ears infections we've had to treat her for.
  • The three times animal control has shown up to our house because our neighbors complained about our dog barking too much.
  • The three rugs, wooden chair and many kitchen towels she eaten.
  • The many many times (including yesterday) shes eaten her food too fast and puked it up on my rug.
  • The many times she's knocked over the trash can. Notice all our trash cans and laundry basket now have lids.
  • Dave's flip flops, shoes, and hats she's destroyed.
  • The time she ate her own dog bed and her own dog dishes.
  • The time she opened the fridge and ate a whole Kielbasi.
  • And last but not least, all the black hair she sheds which can be found anywhere from my cereal bowl to stuck in my clean clothes.
All the same, I know that deep down somewhere, I still love my dog.




11 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the laugh! I wish I could tell you having kids is less hassle, and less pee, but....that would be a lie (then again, we are potty training twins right now, so perhaps my perspective is a little off). But I can really relate to Lucy's peeing -- Haven had an accident in my bed today. Thank heaven we have not had any poop accidents yet.

We've missed you during your solitary confinement. Glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

Who on earth in their right mind would pay $50 for a pair of flip-flops??!!

Harmony said...

Like Jessica, I was going to say this has prepped you well for motherhood!

I've missed your posts too! :)

Richins Family said...

:) i loved your post! oh what we do for our dogs :) hey we want to have you guys over for dinner! when would work good for you?

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Aaron said!!

Anonymous said...

lol - dang dogs, why do we get them! And love them! Hmm, remind me not to sit on the love sac again :)

Eric said...

Hi Elise! Its Sarah from the Riv. Congrats on the baby! You look dang cute pregnant...Lucky.

Michele said...

Lucy is great training for parenthood in that you get used to your things being destroyed and puke! If the past is any indication you will be a loving and patient mother!

Jana said...

I loved that movie too and I do not love dogs. But I am glad you still love yours. I would have given it away long ago with all the naughty things she did. :) Just wait for that little baby to arrive and then the real naughty things begin. From both of them. :)

Tyson and Rachelle said...

Elise! You are too funny! Oh, the joy of pets!

Harmony said...

Hey Elise,
You said you'd post more tummy pics. I know, I'm annoying. :)
Miss you guys!