Thursday, July 23, 2009

Big Moves, Baby-haters and Birthday Wishes

Oakley is getting so big! At her 2 month Dr.'s appointment she was 11 lbs 10 oz and 24 1/4 in long. She's super tall (who would've thought that would happen?!), she's in the 95% for height and already in 6 months PJ's. And here's the big news in her life..... she's rolling over! (Tummy to back only) Crazy but she did it for the first time a few days after her 2 month appointment. She performs her little trick about once a day but gets frustrated when I put her back on her tummy after all her hard work. I'm still trying to capture it in video so you can all see her little trick. As you can see she's holding her head up really well now.



As for me and Dave things are going really well. Dave just started clinic and is working on real patients. So far its been quite an experience! I'm just loving being a mom which if you know me is a little surprising. Recently some friends have keyed me into just how awkward I was around babies. For example, there was the time I visited my friend and her newborn baby in the hospital and hardly paid any attention to the baby much less asked to hold him! Or the time I went to visit another friend who just had a baby and held the poor little boy like a rotten potato about a foot away from my body for like a 1/2 hour! What can I say, I only wanted to have a baby to stay home and hang out with my friends. I assure you I'm a much different person now. I absolutely think babies are the cutest and love their little smiles. Well I just ran into another baby-phobic friend and had good a look in the baby-hater mirror. We stayed with some old college friends in Portland (Portland blog soon to be posted) and our friend Andrea shared the same dislike for kids I used to have. At first I was totally confused as to why she didn't ask to hold my baby and didn't tell me how absolutely adorable Oakley is. Then it clicked... baby-phobia! I saw exactly how I must've been around other peoples babies. So I want to send out a big apology for my pre-baby behavior. Its not that I didn't think your babies were cute and adorable, I just wasn't interested in babies at all. And if you share that same baby-phobia I used to have, don't worry it goes away about 2 seconds after you have your own. I sure love this little girl and can't picture my life without her. If you remember any of my awkward pre-baby moments please share, its funny to me now!






I want to send out birthday wishes to my mom. Her birthday was like two weeks ago but we all know what a procrastinator I am. I just have to tell what an awesome mom I have, she's the best! We're complete opposites in many ways but still best friends. We talk about 1 to 3 times a day on the phone and she's always willing to listen to me whine about whatever. Thanks for staying with me for 2 weeks after Oakley was born and waiting on my every whim! Anyway, happy 60th mom! You don't look a day over 40!



Mom- can we consider this your Birthday Card? I'll be on the ball next year, I promise!

10 comments:

Jessica said...

I always love reading your posts!

I have never noticed any baby-hater behavior from you, and I have pictures of you holding Kasia at her blessing and you look like a natural. Besides, being the youngest (like me) where are we supposed to get any knowledge of babies until we had them?

NJ said...

You're hilarious Elise! Glad you love being a mother so much. :)

Jana said...

I loved it when you brought me Zuka Juice. Or whatever that place was. Totally worth you not caring about Carson. :)

BusyMama said...

I laughed out loud. :) It's true that you don't really notice babies until you're in the baby zone. Otherwise, they're just loud, noisy things that are a little scary! I'm very glad you don't feel that way about Oakley. :)

Michele said...

Oh my goodness...how could I have not known that? Maybe because my baby is 8? You are a wonderful mommy Elise...and Oakley is absolutely precious...I especially love that last photo with her hand by her mouth.

The Dorny Family said...

I wouldn't have pegged you for a baby-phobic. In fact all your pre-baby behavior kind of reminded me of myself, pre-baby (and if I'm being honest, in between each new baby). I don't know, I guess I'm just insecure around other people's little babies, so it comes off as though I'm not interested. I'm glad other people feel that way too.

Meredith said...

Very funny post :) Sounds like we both have tall girls! Oakley's little face looks different every time I see it but right now she totally looks like you!

Amy said...

She is rolling OVER?! Yeah...Freddy is a lazy boy - he still won't roll over with out a little help from me. She is SO incredibly adorable Elise!

Angela said...

I'm totally baby-phobic too! Once, I was holding a new nephew, and I decided to sit on the ground because I was so afraid I would drop him.

Adam and Jess said...

She must be a very strong baby if she's already rolling over. Pax seriously only rolls over in his basically and he's almost six months. Talk about lazy.