Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Searching for Home

A couple of weeks ago Dave and I took our big trip out west. We are looking for a place to "settle down" after Dave finishes school. We really have no ties and no idea where we're headed. (Any suggestions?) Somehow the idea of living in Portland or Seattle has been really appealing to us. It has the greenery that we love, the ocean and that great city planning thing unlike most places out east. So since we go home to New York all time, we decided to use our summer trip to do some future home scouting. Dave's parents also came along for the adventure and despite some serious traffic, crying and being squished in a car together for days, we managed to have a pretty awesome time. And for bragging purposes I just have to say how amazing Oakley was. On the Airplane, in the hotels, at friends houses, and in the car, she is just a sweet little angel! Now for the pictures...

Mount St. Helen's



Seattle (And No, I didn't wear the same shirt two days in a row, we really did it all in one day!)



The Pringles- not us, Dave's parents



Seattle Temple- again same really long day!



The Japanese Gardens in Portland- my favorite part of the trip!



Japanese Gardens again, which by the way are not stroller friendly, we found that out the hard way!



Dave's dad taking a picture at Cannon beach. I guess this rock is in the movie "Goonies" which I admit I've never seen. I know, I was a deprived child!


Fort Stevens- and the kid in the red coat would not get out of the picture so I got impatient and just took it!



This was at a restaurant. Oakley fell asleep in my arms pulling her little hat down like this, so stinking cute!!




And the verdict was.... 1- Portland 1- East Coast. I really loved it, every bit of it and I could totally picture myself living there. Dave was almost sold until we got to the beach. He was soooo disappointed that the ocean was freezing cold and pretty much unswimable. I admit east coast beaches are a lot more fun but west coast beaches are so beautiful. Anyway I had told him many times that the ocean was cold out west but he thought I was just being a wimp. And he made the comment "I don't understand what all those people from California are bragging about, west coast beaches stink!". I thought that was pretty funny since most of the people I know from California are always talking up the beaches. No hard feelings west coasters but our beaches here win by a landslide!

15 comments:

Amy said...

Wow you guys are so brave to do such a busy trip with a little one! I'm so glad she did so well! From someone who is from CA, let me set the record straight about the beaches. Northern beaches are cold but for a month. Southern beaches, warm ALL year round. I grew up in Northern CA and went to the beaches a lot rarely got in the water. I only got in when we would vacation down south. Having said that, going to OBX twice and living now in SC, I much prefer those beaches! :) Sorry CA, still love living in you better though.

Brooklet said...

For the last several months I have been craving the pacific north west- I really want to be stationed there. It is just so beautiful, and exactly my type of weather.

as for the beaches, I really don't enjoy the heat- going to the beaches here in va, they are nice and warm, but I love that in oregon, it can be a hot, hot day and you go down to the beach for nice cool weather.

Libby said...

makes me homesick!! yes, the pacific northwest beaches are completely different than eastcoast beaches. i think of the pnw beaches as a place to get away from the heat and a swimming suit is not needed- just roll up your pant legs bc that's as far as you are getting in! i love it!

NJ said...

I'm so glad that you like the Japanese Gardens!! Bummer about stroller though. Really, so glad that you liked it there. And I have to agree with Amy that So. California beaches are much warmer than northern west coast beaches - they really are so different. But I have yet to visit an east coast beach, so I can't compare with that.

Linda said...

Fun trip! I love the east coast beaches better than the west too, but you are definately right about the west coast being beautiful.

And I love the last pic of Oakley sleeping. She is such an adorable baby!

Amy said...

PORTLAND PORTLAND PORTLAND PORTLAND :)

The Dorny Family said...

Great pictures. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and all your misgivings about how Oakley would handle the trip were unfounded! (This is usually the case with me...the worst part of the trip is worrying about all of the things that could go wrong, then they never do.) Don't feel deprived (or maybe I was, too), I've never seen "Goonies" either.

BusyMama said...

Yes, it's the SOUTHERN california beaches that are warm and sunny. Northern, you don't really swim. Ever. I love the west, I vote for Portland. :)

libby said...

looks like so much fun. it's funny that I've been craving that area of the country too. it must be all the trees in pittsburgh that have me worried about moving to the desert. :)

Angela said...

My sister Katie lives in Vancouver (the other side of the river from Portland) and the LOVE it. Glad you had a good trip!

Kelly Stoddart said...

We loved living in Portland, it was so pretty and we loved the beaches even more! We just found it hard to be away from family with kids. Good luck finding a place! Your baby is sooo cute. I can't wait to meet her.

Harmony said...

LOVED the Goonies growing up. That's a family favorite. I'd love to see that rock.

My vote is East Coast!! I'm afraid if you moved to WA or OR we'd never see you. :( It's really expensive to fly with kids...as we are learning.

Pitcherpost said...

The goonies rock! I know that well. now you have to watch the movie!

Your baby haters post was funny. I'm just like you and glad to know I'm not the only one! I like babies, I do! But I just don't have that urge to hold and cuddle everyone's newborns. That's work to me!

Jana said...

Now listen. I will give you crappy beaches in Oregon and Washington. But take back what you said about CA. At least San Diego. I mean, come on!!! :) And Jason and I are going through the same process you guys are. Where to go!!???

sb said...

My brother and sister-in-law lived in Portland for awhile and loved it. If you want to come south, though, East Texas has some lovely trees and nature too (as long as you can handle humid summers). We could always use a few more members, too. :) No beaches, though. We lived in Maine for a time, and those beaches, while they had their charms, were certainly not warm, lovely beaches like you find in other East Coast areas.