Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Trot Trot to Boston...

Ahh don't you just love coming home from vacation. The huge pile of laundry, the dirty car and that random smell you can't quite pinpoint in your kitchen. Then there's the realization the your vacation is over and that looming vacation blog you have to write that no one really wants to read. But lets get real, everyone gets bragging rights so here I go...

Labor Day weekend 2009: Boston

That's right, Dave, Oakley and I headed over for a visit with my brother, Aleks and his family. We had an amazing time. Boston is probably the coolest city in the US (that I've been to). Its big with lots of fun things to do but not overwhelmingly big like NYC. Both of my parents grew up in the Boston area and its a place that I've been to visit more times than I can remember. Its always been my favorite city and after this trip, it still remains at #1. One of its best attributes is the rich history of the area that is kept alive by the beautifully well-maintained buildings. We walked part of the "Freedom Trail" which takes you around the city's historic sites. This is the Old State house in front of which the Boston Massacre occurred.



Anyway, enough of the history lesson. If you have the time, just go check it out for yourself.

Here we are right outside the Boston aquarium, my favorite thing to see there. I love aquariums! For those of you who don't know, Dave actually proposed to me in an aquarium. I know, he's quite the romantic:)




Oakley and her cousin Issac. Issac's 15 months older than Oakley.


The whole crew: Thanks Aleks and Laura for an amazing vacation!



Oakley had a pretty fun time.


So here Dave, Oakley and I are all set to go on our whale watch. Sad news was that all whale watches were canceled that day due to some rough seas. Oh well, that just means we have to go back another time.


So instead of whale watching, we headed over to the North End to get some amazing Italian food. Also one of the best things about Boston... the food! The North End is basically the Italian part of Boston (this is actually where my Nana was born). And this picture doesn't really do it justice. The entire area really looks like you wandered over into Italy. The food is amazing but the best part are the cannoli. If you ever go to Mike's pastries order a "Lobster Tail". Its a puff pastry that's full of probably a pound of cream filing. Dave and I polished one of those off along with 3 cannoli. Sick huh? Also we enjoyed some good chowda (as the Bostonians would say), steamers (steamed clams) and frappes (milkshakes).


On our way back we stopped off at Dave's parents house who were kind enough to watch our dogs while we were out gallivanting. Dave's mom treated us to some portraits of Oakley. Despite the fact that she cried for most of it, we were able to get some pretty cute shots.



This little girl is now 4 months old and weighs 15.3 lbs. She's in the 95% for weight and height, yeah she's a big one!

Whew, that was a long post! Kudo's to you if you've made it this far.

10 comments:

Atherly Family said...

Boston does look cool! Oakley is getting so big! Crazy that I only saw her like 3 days after she was born and that's it. Sad. She's adorable, glad you had a fun time.

tiffany and darren said...

so fun! i love the oakley pictures.
when are you going to take us to boston?

Amy said...

I can't believe how big she is!!! She's not too far behind Freddy. He was over 16 lbs at 4 months - and now at 6 months he's just about 20! GOTTA LOVE BIG BABES!

Michele said...

You sold Boston...now I have to go. Oakley is such a trooper...my girls never cooperated thus very few trips while they were little. I love the mirror shot...she is a cutie!

Meredith said...

You totally made me homesick for Boston..."chowdah" and all. I LOVE the North end too. FYI, the best cannoli I've had in Pittsburgh is at Giovanni's!

libby said...

okay, okay, sears did a good job. I take back all the bad things I said. :)

Adam and Jess said...

I want to see Boston before we leave Pittsburgh. I thought the pictures of Oakley are so cute. It's funny she's already a t.v. addict:)

Brooklet said...

Your post makes me want to go see boston, something we have to do before we leave this part of the us.

I got that brown fabric handle material at. . joanns. Yep, good ol' joanns.

Jana said...

I seriously can't believe how much she has grown. I need to squeeze her!!!! Can't wait to see you soon. YEA!!!!!!

Jaimie said...

Oakley is the cutest! Funny, she's opposite my girls, all >5% on the charts. :)