Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Testimonial

Of late I have found myself obsessed, taken, in LOVE, if you will. What could it possibly be? I'll give you a hint- its something you would never expect from me (an avid Nordstrom shopper). It's CRAIGSLIST!!! I'm really not a bargain shopper (TJ Maxx gives me anxiety) and I normally wouldn't be caught dead buying something second hand. But dental school has forced me to broaden my horizons (mom- you must be so proud! But seriously I'm not switching to soy milk, just give up on that one;). Craigslist has become my new hobby, and here are a few reasons why:
  • Before moving to Pittsburgh Dave and I decided to downsize to one car. We sold my Toyota Echo (aka. souped-up golf cart) ON CRAIGSLIST in one day- for cash!!!
  • Oakley's bedroom furniture: a 4 in 1 crib, HUGE dresser, glider, trunk and bookshelf all previously used by one child. The dresser alone retails for over $400 at Babies R Us. I paid $650 for everything! (Plus she threw in a wipes warmer (a $20 value) and Dave accidentally stole her scissors- opps!)
  • Recently I've had this crazy desire to go biking. In order to accompany Miss Oakley we needed a child's bike trailer and a bike rack. Bike Trailer: Trek Go-Bug that retails for over $400, used twice; we paid $75. Bike Rack: Bell Triple-Back, new-in-box that retails for $60; we paid $30.
  • Now we've found a highchair for Oakley: Chicco Polly, used a few times for $70, retails for $150. And I have big plans to replace our refrigerator, which mysteriously keeps leaking water, for a fairly new one- only $150.

Anyway, I had to share the love (or brag). And an added bonus- a great tour of the city. We have found some of the nicest neighborhoods in Pittsburgh thanks to my Craigslist adventures. In fact our little tours have convinced us to stay here, possibly permanently. There you have it, Craigslist has changed my life. It could change yours too, I highly recommend it.

**I was not paid to say any of this**

8 comments:

BusyMama said...

Amen! It can be a hassle, but it's so worth the great prices on like-new stuff. About 75% of what we own came from craigslist. That's not an exaggeration.

Jessica said...

Oh, I love Craigslist -- we got our dining room table for $70. I've also purchased most of my baby stuff on Craigslist, used it as long as needed, then sold it for the same price! That's like, FREE stuff!

I think I went a little too hog wild selling off baby stuff, though, because now I am looking for some of the same stuff I sold -- I was not expecting to be pregnant again while we were still, um, cash-strapped.

Oakley's bedroom set looks amazing for a Craigslist buy -- way to go!

Michele said...

Before you know it you will be clipping coupons and shopping at Marshalls! I need to be more like you...you have convinced me to check out Craigslist!

Pitcherpost said...

I need to be better about using craigslist, some of the things on your list we paid a pretty hefty price for! I vow to do better.

Craigslist has really changed your life if you're thinking about staying in pittsburgh for good! I'm glad to know I'll have someone to visit there if you do. I'm curious as to what neighborhoods have been some of your favorites, I loved exploring Pittsburgh!

Meredith said...

Wait, so you're staying here? Does that mean you are going to be looking on Craiglist for some Steelers lawn ornaments? Just kidding, it'd be hard to find someone willing to get rid of theirs :)

Jana said...

We discovered Craigslist in Pittsburgh too. I still use my treadmill thanks to it!! Or maybe that was the Penny Saver. But almost the same thing. :) Nice finds. But I did just go to Nordstrom on Saturday and it was way better than shopping used. :) At least I had a seriously yummy lunch!! :)

Kay said...

The love of soy milk will also come in time!!

NJ said...

Craig's List will give you a tour of the city - and come to think of it I found probably my favorite Pittsburgh neighborhood via Craig's list! Good job being committed - it's a little stressful for me, but it is worth it!

And Meredith, I have to say, I saw the most intense Steeler's wreath on craig's list a week or so ago. And it was only $50! :)