Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Night to Remember....




A new America emerged last night after a moment that we will remember for the rest of our lives. The crowd spoke and history answered. As Lyndon Johnson famously said “We shall overcome” and we finally have. I’m not here to say this is a historic moment because a black man became president, but because we now belong to a country where racism has faded to the point where a black man can be elected president. Many of us are too young to remember the days of civil rights and Martin Luther King Jr. but, in our time racism has exposed its ugly face. I still remember hearing about my brother’s friend. He was good student who stayed out of trouble. He was an African-American who lived close by in a suburban neighborhood. He was the victim of a viscous hate crime where he was attacked by two white boys who knew nothing about him besides the fact he was black. I was shocked! I had always lived in a diverse area that I thought was devoid of racism. But still in my own hometown, to a family friend, racism reared its ugly face. Today I woke up more proud to be an American than I can ever remember. There are few moments in our lives that will deeply imprint in our hearts that cannot be forgotten. Last night we experienced one of those moments, a moment where all Americans truly became equal. I whole-heartedly support our president elect and not because of the color of his skin, but for the integrity and intelligence that he exudes. I believe he is the best man for this job. I believe in the America he has inspired.

Obama's victory speech

No negative comments please.

5 comments:

tiffany and darren said...

I too think it is great that we have come so far in our country.
The post on my blog about him looking like that puppet is solely that he looks like that puppet and I can't take him seriously because of it. It was nothing against him or his character.

Tyson and Rachelle said...

I agree. I almost got a bit emotional. To know that we were a part of this...the first black president. We have come a long way!

Anonymous said...

Nice post! I agree completely- it is such an important moment in our history. I don't think one needs to have voted for Obama to appreciate the significance of his election. When our country was founded, blacks were counted as less than human. Now we have progressed far enough to a point where a black man can be elected President. Here in Europe, people are both ecstatic and amazed at Obama's election. I was in Italy last week and so many people came up to us to express their positive feelings about Obama. Honestly, I can't think of any other place in the world other than the U.S. where an ethnic minority could be elected as head of state. I don't think it could happen here in Europe.

There are some who aren't so happy about having a black man as president: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081115/D94FI48G0.html

Pretty disgusting! I thought your friend's blog post comparing Obama to a puppet was completely inappropriate and borderline racist as well.

Harmony said...

Tummy pictures please. :)

Pamela said...

Hi Pringle

Please add a follow link to your blog so I can add it to the blogs I follow. It's great to know that I am not alone.

Pamela
http://www.thisorganizedchaos.com