Saturday, May 16, 2009

Oakley has arrived!

Oakley Kay Pringle is now one and a half weeks old. I know, this post is a little late! But motherhood has kept me pretty busy. Oakley is a good baby so far. She sleeps a lot and for the most part she has caught on to nursing pretty quickly. She loves being held and absolutely hates taking a bath. She has two adorable dimples that you can see when she smiles. Dave and I absolutely love this little girl and can't picture life without her.

Labor Story:
So after waiting 4 days past my due date I decided to take matters into my own hands. I picked up a bottle of caster oil and at 8pm on Thursday (May 7th) I downed the caster oil and chased it with a Yoo-Hoo. I went to bed disappointed that nothing was happening but woke up at 2am when the caster oil decided to kick in. At 3am I started having contractions and we showed up at the hospital at 7am. I was dilated to 3 cm and my contractions were every 5 minutes lasting about 2-3 minutes long! I suffered through my contractions all morning until they finally gave me the epidural at about 11am. After that it was smooth sailing... for a while. I was dilated 1 cm about every 1-2 hours and at 9pm they decided to break my water to see if things would progress a little more. Things really weren't progressing so at midnight they gave me a little Pitocin. Finally around 2am I was at 10 cm and ready to push. So I pushed and pushed and pushed. After 2 1/2 hours of pushing they told me it was time for a c-section...

Oakley was stuck behind my pelvis bone and it looked like she wouldn't fit through. At this point you can imagine I was pretty devastated. I really didn't want a c-section after all the work I had put in, it just didn't seam fair! Not to mention I was scared out of my mind about having surgery! So I was not in a good state going into the surgery. After they strapped my arms down and put a big blue drape right above my face I started to panic. I was shaking uncontrollably while going in and out of consciousness. Oakley was stuck in my pelvis so they had to make a bigger incision on my uterus. Because of that I lost a lot of blood and the surgery took twice as long. My blood pressure and pulse started dropping and they had to push some epinephrine in my IV to keep me going. Stitching me up took forever! I keep coming to and asking how much longer. Every time they told me 15 minutes. At one point I was getting pretty ticked and asked them "What the hell is taking so long?!" After all was said and done I had a beautiful baby girl that I didn't get to hold until I came to about 2 hours after the surgery. Well at least I know for next time, it can't be worse than that!

Oakley:
Oakley was born at 5:38am on Saturday May 9th. She weighed 7 lbs 14.5 oz, was 20 inches long and she got a 9 on the apgar scale. She has two dimples on her checks and a dimple in her chin. She also has a head full of sandy blond hair.



16 comments:

amy said...

You didn't tell me you took Caster Oil!!!! That is hilarious! Oakley is just about the cutest baby girl there is. p.s. You look great in all these pics.

libby said...

I love the slide show. Favorite Part: "I don't remember this."

Michele said...

Oh my goodness she is so adorable! I am glad we are back I can't wait to come over and visit!!!

Tyson and Rachelle said...

Holy cow! What a story! And I thought I had it bad! Glad she is finally here! She is beautiful!

Atherly Family said...

Wow! You have one incredible story! Now you can scare all the soon to be mom's like we scared you! She is absolutely beautiful and so glad I got to meet her. Can't wait to see more pics!

Pamela said...

Congratulations! Just in time for Mothers's Day.

Kelly Stoddart said...

What a little cutie!! Congratulations. I can't believe that you took Caster oil I am way to wimpy for that. Sorry about your labor ordeal it sounds terrible but look what the result was!!!!

Angela said...

She's beautiful Elise. Congratulations!

Jessica said...

I can't wait to hold Oakley this summer -- I loved your slide show by the way. Great pictures!!

NJ said...

I second Libby on the favorite comment! And I also didn't know that you actually drank Caster Oil. Wow. Monday came and went and we didn't see you... what are we going to do??

Tara said...

Wow, you actually drank the castor oil??? You are a brave woman! I was tempted once or twice when I was overdue with Jacob! What an adorable baby! Congratulations! Now get off the computer and get some sleep! Here's hoping you have a fast recovery!

Adam and Jess said...

I agree that it wasn't fair for you to go through all of that... and still have to have a c-section. At least she's here, and healthy right? I can't wait for more pictures, they change so fast

Kathryn said...

Wow, she is so beautiful!
I can totally understand your feelings about the c-section, it is so scary when plans change at the last minute :(
The important thing to remember is that it doesn't matter how she got out, it's that she's here. I'm sure you've heard that a million times, though, sorry! Hope everyone is adjusting, take it easy, and I LOVE all the things you sewed for her, they are absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you take time out for you, too! Congrats!

Linda said...

Oh my! What a crazy delivery you had! I'm glad everyone is doing well though, and Oakley is beautiful. I hope you're enjoying motherhood:)

Sue said...

Congratulations!! Oakley is beautiful! You took Castor Oil?? Is that your mom's trick? :-)

JoDell said...

She is precious! What a beautiful baby! I love the picture of you three sleeping by each other.

And that's a crazy labor story! I'm glad you and Oakley are doing well now. Congratulations!