Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Donate-a-Day

Happy New Year! I'm sorry not to have any family posts up yet but we just got a new camera and I'm a little overwhelmed with the massive amount of pictures I have to sort through. But this post will be equally as exciting, I promise.

New Years resolutions: We've all made them and broke them, and then made the same ones again. This year I've decided to do something a little different. Inspired by the movie "The Cove", I realized what I needed to do. As much as being a stay-at-home mom brings me more joy than I ever imagined, I still find myself searching for something else to define who I am. I've tried sewing bags for additional income or going to yoga classes to improve my body. Nothing has really filled that void until I came up with this plan:

Donate-a-day:
I am going to donate one day every month to a charity for the next year. Whether that be working in a soup kitchen or helping to build a house, I want to better the world we live in. One day a month doesn't seem like much but its a start. I'll keep you posted on what I'm doing for the month and if you live in Pittsburgh you can come along! Want to join in? You should! Why not resolve to help others this year instead of helping ourselves. (You can even get a free ticket to a Disney theme park)


JANUARY:

Ever since the 2nd grade I have been infatuated with the ocean and marine life. I started out as a marine biology major at BYU and spent two months in Monterrey, CA studying our ocean's creatures. I've been scuba diving a handful of times and cannot even begin to describe the high I get from viewing ocean life up close. I even got engaged in an aquarium!! Marine animals will always have a special place in my heart and that's why after seeing "The Cove", I felt the need to do something to help. You can help too! Watch the movie "The Cove" (rent it at a redbox for $1) and check out this website to see what you can do to help stop the unnecessary slaughter of dolphins.


Scuba Diving with some classmates in Monterrey. (I'm the short one)


Salt Lake City Aquarium, where Dave proposed.

Random dolphin fact: Did you know that dolphins are one of only four animals that are self aware? Only elephants, apes, humans and dolphins can recognize that they are looking at themselves in a mirror.

Here's the Plan:
As a farewell to my sewing site, I still have to get rid of the rest of my inventory. I have three diaper bags left and I will be selling them for $15 each!! (I'll even pay to ship them) All the money made from the bags will be donated to Oceanic Preservation Society. E-mail me if you would like to purchase one of these bags at elisepringle@yahoo.com. First come, first serve!

***All the bags are gone, thanks for supporting a great cause!!***

10 comments:

Jana said...

You are a good example to me. I love your new years resolution!!! What a perfect thing to do.

Amy said...

That is so AWESOME of you! I'm excited to hear about everything you are doing each month. GOOD LUCK!

Linda said...

What a great New Years resolution! Good luck with everything.

Amy said...

What an inspiration you are! That's a great goal and I can't wait to hear what all you'll be doing each month. In hygiene school we did TONS of community service and it was so rewarding. Never heard of The Cove... I'll have to check it out. But are you really going to give up your sewing biz... you can't!!! You're too talented!

NJ said...

Elise, I love your resolution too! I want to hear about the places you find to go and I'll see what I can do to come along. I love stuff like that! And wow, your bags went crazy fast! I saw that you posted last night but I decided to wait for the joy of reading it until I was at work today... and I really missed out on bag deal!!! Oh well. Seriously, keep me posted about your service adventures!

melanie said...

You are an admirable person! What a good resolution. I have all sorts of places I plan to donate to, but I've always intended on doing that AFTER Zach starts working. But donating time is something I can do now! you are right on that. So I'll admit, I've kind of laughed at Hayden Pantinerre in the past b/c she's always going on about saving the dolphins, but just a few days ago I read about how scientists now think they are the second in intelligence only to humans. That dolphins have strong bonded relationships and they worry and plan for their futures....so that made me feel very differently. It's a really good cause!

Brooklet said...

That is a great new years resolution! It sets a great example as a mom, too. I use to do a lot of volunteer work before I had kids, but as a mom, it just became one of the last things on my mom, but it is so important for me and for those I could help. thanks for the inspiration.

Debi said...

Elise, I'll be your partner in crime. I've been commenting on how I need to do something like this- but haven't done anything. So count me in! OH, and when are we getting together?????

Harmony said...

That's so awesome, Elise. Good for you! I liked your mention of your love for marine animals. I think your Monterrey experience happened before I met you, so I haven't talked to you about it much.

Adam and Jess said...

Those bags went so fast!!! I haven't been reading blogs as much lately and sounds like I really missed out. I'm trying to figure out how to define myself this year as well. It gets harder as your kids get older and so it's a great idea to do now.