Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Big One!

One year has come and gone and I can hardly believe it. To think that last year I was in the hospital, swollen like a balloon, with my precious little angel by my side. I don't often get mushy but I just want to say this for memory's sake. I really didn't know how I would take to motherhood since you're all aware of my previous dislike/fear of most children (not yours of course!). But every night in the hospital when the nurses wheeled Oakley away to the nursery, I felt like it was Christmas Eve. I couldn't wait to be woken up at 3am to nurse my tiny, sweet baby. I know that sounds a little crazy and the feeling wore off quickly once we were home but I remember the excitement I felt every time I held her. I still go in her room at night just to watch her sleep and sometimes pick up her sleepy little body and just rock her. And then I breathe a big sigh of relief knowing that I won't have to get up until 7:30 the next morning! Alright, onto the party!

Birthday Party Part I: May 7th, 2010

I decided that Oakley wouldn't mind if we combined her party with two boys and invited everyone we knew to a huge BBQ. Despite being more of an undertaking than I anticipated, the other two mommies and I managed to put on a pretty sweet party for 72 adults and kids. I absolutely loved being able to have a big outdoor party with all our Pittsburgh friends. It was also a great opportunity to get together with some of our friends who are moving:( Onto the pictures!

Here's the unsuspecting birthday girl, waiting to head over to her party. There's something to be said about her green blanket, its her favorite thing in the world and she must have it with her everywhere she goes.


Here are the two birthday boys, the party, and me with my new do.



The Cake- it would've been better had I remembered to take a picture before cutting into it.


More pics of the party, the decor, and just two members of the Pittsburgh baby boom.



Isn't her birthday hat adorable?!? My exceptionally talented friend, Carlee made it just for Oakley.


Needless to say she loved the cake. She ate two entire pieces then rubbed the rest in her hair which resulted in us having to leave her party early for a birthday bath.




Thanks to everyone who came to help us celebrate! It meant a lot to me to have so many of our friends there for Oakley's first birthday. We are lucky to live in a place with many great friends who have been there for us through the last three years. Thanks to Rachelle and Jamie for letting me talk you into throwing this big ol' party for our kids! It was a piece of cake!!

Birthday Part II: May 9th 2010

Oakley's real birthday was on Mother's day so we decided to invite some friends over to celebrate both. After Oakley discovered her new love of sugar, she was pretty content to sit on our friend Tiffany's lap while being spoon fed chocolate cake. Quite unusual for a little girl who never sits still!



Oakley didn't care too much about the presents, good thing she had some helpers show her the ropes!

11 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday to Oakley! And I LOVE the hair cut! Do you like it?

Amy said...

LOVE YOUR HAIR and Happy Birthday to Oakley!

tiffany and darren said...

oakley is so lucky to have such a fun mom willing to throw her all these parties. i guess it's not hard to spoil your baby when she is SO stinkin' cute!

Jessica said...

LOVE your hair!! Happy first birthday to Oakley! Glad to hear the party went well, I love your pictures!

Pitcherpost said...

happy birthday! Oakley...SO CUTE!!! you look great too, i too love your hair!

Amy said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly a year goes by? Crazy! Oakley is so cute, LOVE those blue eyes! How in the world did you manage a party for 72 people? LOVE your hair!!

Jana said...

That year went so fast!!! Happy Birthday Oakley!!! And I love your hair. You look fantastic!!! Do you love it?

Melissa said...

Elise - it was so great to finally meet little Oakley. She is such a doll. Send me your email address to mjtabish@hotmail.com so I can add you to my blog so you can view and comment. Talk to you later!

Michele said...

I love your banner photo...it could be a postcard! I cant believe it has been a year...Oakley is a treasure and we will miss her!

Adam and Jess said...

She looks like an active little one. I love the new do and didn't realize you had a pole going. Is it time consuming or perfect for you? I know when I had that cut I got a lot of compliments, but having wavy hair... I had to flat iron it which was more than ten minutes. I love the picture with Katie's hair flipped out, you should try that.

Helena said...

Aww, Oakley is adorable! And so is your new haircut.